Importance and History
1. Why is it called Mother House?
There are many reasons why is called this name and remains through time, among them which stand out the following, in addition to being a place well liked it by all MSCGpe and by so many people who have accompanied us on our walk through almost a century.
● Because our Mother Foundress lived here from 1943 until her Eternal Easter, which took place in 1967.
● Because from this house, our Mother sent the sisters to their respective communities and made new foundations; giving encouragement, wise advice, and his maternal blessing, to the sisters who were going to new destinations. She also received them whenever they came from their communities to rest, to solve their difficulties, to do spiritual exercises, to visit their relatives or to feed their academic and religious formation.
● Because it is the home of all MSCGpe in which we breathe our congregational heritage: the spirituality and teachings of the Servant of God Maria Amada del Niño Jesus. The history forged by the life of our Mother and of so many sisters who preceded us. The fraternal welcome that continues generating a life of faith and making history for the new generations and the forthcoming.
● Because it was the first owned house of the Congregation since in all the other houses they went through in the center of Azcapotzalco, they paid rent or received support from generous people.
2. Some story to tell
It began to be called Mother House since 1936, when the number of sisters had grown so there were already 38 young women who gave strength to the nascent foundation, in such a way that their presence became more and more noticeable and could more easily be discovered by the civil authorities as a religious community, an important target in the period of religious persecution in Mexico. For this reason, Mother Maria Amada del Niño Jesus decided to found two other communities in the same center of Azcapotzalco: one in San Marcos Street No. 4 (today 24) and another in San Simón Street, also No. 4. In which they would attend two boarding schools: one for girls and one for boys, respectively. The Mother, along with another group of sisters, would continue in the home of Belisario Domínguez, from which other communities will be found in different parts of the Mexican Republic. The first one outside the city was the one in Durango, Durango in 1936.
In 1941, the first stone of the present Mother House was placed, occupying part of the land that was given for Mr. Fortunato Carraro, to the Reverend Father Teodosio Martínez to be built, both the seminary of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart and of Santa Maria de Guadalupe ( founded in 1938), and the house of the Missionaries; Both edifications were constructed simultaneously, contiguous one of the other.
At the beginning of 1941, Mr Catarino Sánchez Muñoz, brother of the Servant of God, left his homeland and his personal plans to move to the Capital and dedicate himself completely to supporting his sister Maria Amada del Niño Jesús, so he could do everything possible to the "Work of the Heart of Jesus", as he called the two foundations of women and men. He was the one who undertook, led and worked hard on the great task of building these two houses for the sister Congregations, assisted by several of the young seminarians and sisters, who collaborated with great dedication despite fatigue and inexperience. Our "Uncle Catarino" (as we call him with affection and gratitude) also taught them to perform various tasks, such as the cutting and gluing of tiles in the kitchen and corridors, spaces that decorated beautifully with leftovers of materials used in the construction of the "Palacio de Bellas Artes" (Palace Of Fine Arts).
Finally, in 1943 the community moved to this new home, which was still unfinished, without windows or doors, and only the walls to guard against the wind and the cold. The work on the garden of the new Community was directed by Mother Maria Amada del Niño Jesus and along with her, the young sisters worked with hoes and machetes to remove the undergrowth, to remove the soil, to plant new spices and to beautify the house.
The work was carried out little by little, as the scarce economic resources allowed and as demanded by the increasing number of sisters who continued entering the Congregation, as also did the seminarians whom also continued growing in number.
In this house, as in the former Mother House of Belisario Domínguez Street, several generations of sisters received the initial formation, as there were no special houses for the Novitiate or the Postulancy. The Master of Formation was for many years the same Servant of God. Also, a part of this house became a school during the day and at night the dormitory for the sisters, since they did not have an independent room to teach the children of the surrounding. This is the original place of the College Maria Regina that now is located in the Avenida Encarnación Ortiz .
After the death of our Mother Foundress, the General Government of the Congregation continued to live in the Mother House, being the residence of the Superiors General and the respective Councils, which succeeded her until 1990. In this year the headquarters of the General Government of the Congregation is moved to Avenida Azcapotzalco 737. From that year to today is the residence of the General Government of the Congregation and is known as Casa General (General House).
The whole house, in its simplicity and sobriety, encloses and transpires life turned into history, spirit, and devotion, but there are especially some important spaces because in them they condense all these elements forming an environment conducive to the transcendental encounter with God that provides us , both deep knowledge and a transforming life experience.
Our House has spaces of special importance: Community Chapel, Room of the SG María Amada del Niño Jesús, Oratory and Historical Archive of the Servant of God María Amada del Niño Jesús.